Saturday, May 9, 2009

Crispy Chewy White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (gluten free! or not.)

DSC_0008


I would like to announce to the entire world, via the internet, that I HAVE ALREADY LOST ALL THE BABY WEIGHT. Yeah me! I rock!

Well, "technically" I have 4 lbs to go, but my boobs have grown from tennis balls to small watermelons, so I think that those last 4 lbs doesn't count. I mean, 4 extra lbs of boobs isn't exactly anything to complain about. right? Women pay thousands of dollars to plastic surgeons for 4 lbs of extra boobs like this, so I'm going to call it even and say that in only 5 weeks, I HAVE LOST ALL THE BABY WEIGHT! And I have great boobs!

I totally deserve a cookie. So I made myself some.

DSC_0180


And by the way? These cookies are excellent. What better way to reward myself than with a totally awesome melt in your mouth cookie? Gluten, no gluten, I can't even tell. You can make them whatever which way you want to.

What I like, nay LOVE, about these cookies (besides the whole oatmeal and white chocolate part) is the texture. Often gluten-free anything is texturally horrible - crumbly and dry, or gummy and wet. Same goes for oatmeal cookies (gluten or otherwise), which are often cakey, crumbly, and dry. But these cookies are nothing of the kind; they defy stereotypes. They are crisp, buttery, oaty, hearty, and chewy all at the same time.

Can't eat gluten? Maybe you have been living under the perception that oatmeal is off limits. WRONG! Recent research has shown that oats do not contain gluten. Any gluten in oats is the result of cross-contamination during growing and processing, and gluten-free oats should now be available at your local health food store. I have been using Bob's Red Mill rolled oats, and Bob? I love you so much. Thankyou for giving me oats again. I am dedicating these cookies to you. Well, that and my body's return to pre-pregnancy jeans. I love you, pre-pregnancy jeans!

DSC_0015


Crispy Chewy White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from Cooks Illustrated

you will need this stuff:
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup quinoa flour
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
1 pinch salt
(1 cup all purpose flour can be used instead of the GF flours and xanthum gum)

1 + 3/4 sticks butter (14 tbs)
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg from a happy, free range chicken
1 tsp vanilla
2 + 1/2 cups GF rolled oats
1 + 1/4 cups white chocolate chips (use real chocolate! buy a 6oz bar if necessary)


Method:

PREHEAT your oven to 350 degrees, and mix together flours and xanthum gum

DSC_0146
Cream together 1 + 3/4 stick (14 tbs) butter, 1 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Beat together on high until butter lightens in color (about 5 minutes). Try REALLY hard NOT to sample. Because if you do, well, you will probably start to feel sick. Not that I would know.

DSC_0148
Add 1 egg and 1 tbs vanilla, and beat until fully incorporated.

DSC_0163
Gently mix in flour mixture on medium setting.

DSC_0164
Add 2 + 1/2 cup Oats.

DSC_0176
Add 1 + 1/4 cup white chocolate chips. Mix gently together until incorporated.

DSC_0186
Divide Cookies evenly into small balls, about 2tbs each, and set on parchment paper on a cool cookie sheet (a hot sheet will make cookies melt prematurely).

DSC_0005
Bake 15-20 minutes, until cookies are golden. Let cool, then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Your first one, and although that sweet baby can't tell you how much he loves you yet, great Mother's Days are ahead of you. My guys are making me breakfast in bed right now and I have all kinds of coupons for free massages from the boys. How much better can it get?

    Those oatmeal cookies look SO good... crunchy and chewy and I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, oatmeal and white chocolate! There's not a better combo out there in my opinion. My dad and sister are both gluten intolerant, so I am broadening my gluten free recipes. For them and possibly for myself sometime down the road. That whole genetics thing. Nice to know I can still eat oatmeal if it happens to me too. It's one of my favorite breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do I find sweet rice flour? I'm looking everywhere. Please help.
    Linda
    thompsonfam4@charter.net

    ReplyDelete